Friday, March 20, 2009

On seasons and seasoning

The spring has officially started. My backyard already has one purple flower, two reds and a teeny-tiny lime. The birds are chirping, the sky is a deep, deep blue and the breeze feels lovely against my skin.
Thus prodded by the weather, I couldn't help humming that song from the Dell commercial: "I am green today. I chirp with joy at the cricket song". These being all the lyrics I knew, Google came to the rescue (Spring is making me rhyme too!). Not only did I find the ad in question, I also found the original song from which the clip in the ad has been taken. You can watch it here.
The video isn't much, but I like the lyrics.

Morning has given way to afternoon and I still have this song stuck in my head. While the music has stayed the same, the lyrics have now changed to: "I am cooking today - tadka daal and paalak paneer. I am cooking today".
The reason I am cooking such a spread is that V's boss and his family are coming over for dinner. While I am not a bad cook at all, this is still quite a big step for us - from having just couples over, for whom pretty much anything goes (wine and pizza is a party), to having a family over (couple + 3 kids) who are used to eating a good meal at home on a daily basis.
Hopefully, things won't be a complete disaster. In case they actually turn out to be good, a big measure of thanks will be due to Meena, Manisha, Nandita and all the wonderful women out there in the foodie blogosphere who have, unknown to themselves, taught me how to cook.
In fact, they and their fabulous food blogs deserve a separate post of their own which I shall soon do. In the meantime, let me figure out how to hold this ladle while keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments: