Monday, March 23, 2009

Dot(com)ing Couple

Today is our first engagement anniversary!
Strangely, the moment I said that, I was reminded of Sonali Kulkarni's timetable boyfriend from Dil Chahta Hai - the one who buys her a heart-shaped balloon for every occasion. Given, though, that knowing your engagement anniversary is far more legitimate than knowing your first ice-cream anniversary and since I am certainly not buying V any balloons, I shall let this random thought *finally* pass.
So, like I said, today is our first engagement anniversary. V and I met through...hold your breath...shaadi.com. Yes, that's right. There is, it seems, some truth to the statistics of a gazillion matches on their website.
I got on to the shaadi (.com) bandwagon after it dawned on me that I was 27, still hadn't found anybody on my own and my parents' efforts to get me hooked up were leading from one disaster to another (from the creepy guy who quickly latched on to my feminist views and told me that he was looking for a family of one husband and one wife, not two husbands or two wives; to the (doctor) guy whose first question to me was if I was suffering from any medical illnesses. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had fished out his stethoscope if I had said that I did. Damn, maybe I should have!).
Anyhow, so after a dozen or so such disasters, I decided to get over my reservations regarding matrimonial websites ("they are only for losers!", "the kind of guy I am looking for will *never* put his profile on a matrimonial website" etc. etc.) and give shaadi a try.
V, on the other hand, was smarter. He realized quickly that since he hadn't bumped into his soul-mate on a railway platform (or, in his case, a research lab), getting online was his best bet.
After months and months of mostly junk responses, which deserve a separate post all to themselves , we (read V :)) finally hit the jackpot. V was absolutely smitten the first time we talked on the phone (ha!). I took longer (am slow on the uptake) but finally concurred with him and we too, became a shaadi.com statistic.
And here we are today, celebrating our first engagement anniversary. Here's to many more!

P.S. V's profile on shaadi was called V(name)29. Imagine my delight then, to be stopped at a red light behind this vehicle during our honeymoon:




No comments: