Tuesday, April 28, 2009

In-laws inbound!

V's parents are coming tomorrow from India and will be staying with us for a month! Oh, and the exclamation mark at the end of the previous sentence wasn't meant to convey exasperation. More like nervous anticipation.
Actually, to be fair, V's parents aren't bad at all. Although I lived with them for less than a week after we got married last year, I talk to them pretty regularly on the phone and they seem genuinely nice, affectionate and keen to make me a part of the family; rather than merely finding ways to coexist. Plus, there's the fact that V is so much like me. To the extent that we are shaped by our upbringing, his parents and mine must have a lot in common.
So, why the nervousness, you ask. Hmmm... it's something akin to the way you feel before an exam that you are well-prepared for. You are pretty sure you'll do fine, but it is still an exam! Years of social conditioning is now lending me with a similar feeling - they are still my in-laws! Plus, there is also the fact that talking to someone on the phone and living with them are two vastly different things. In a lot of respects they are still strangers with living habits, likes and dislikes which are sure to be different than mine. It's like getting a new room-mate!
On the bright-side though, I always did well on an exam I was well-prepared for and I have had many more good room-mates than bad.
Oh, and I'll get all that yummy food for a month! Aaloo-paranthas for breakfast on a weekday? Mmmm... divine!

1 comment:

CrazyDiamond said...

aalo parathas! Damn, my stomachs on hyper drive now reading that last line.
Hope the inlawing went well.