Friday, April 3, 2009

Funny in my tummy

Browsing through Facebook, something made me stop
it was a friend declaring that for lunch she had Bibimbop.
"I wonder what that is", I inwardly mused
till (as usual) by Wiki, I was rescued.
I am told that it is a Korean lunch,
and this rice-veggie medley packs quite a punch.
So what if the name sounds funny?
the taste will be worth your money.

Thus began thinking of foods with a funny name
although a blog about it might be pretty lame.
When has that deterred me, though?
And so I shall give it a go...

Long ago, when I was barely 3 feet tall,
mommy used to make this sweet dough ball,
and even though that was back in the day,
I remember calling them gulgule!
An old room-mate's mum used to make the same
and they had an even funnier name.
Like fat little brats going out to play,
they were called tuntune munmune!

If there ever was a food-name competition,
Bhatura would be my submission.
Another favourite is naan-khatai
and wonder if there might be a tie.

As I write this, I also wonder
if the namer's mind had gone asunder?
Why langda was the name he chose?
Had he never eaten mangoes?

Oh, but I ain't here to deride
so I shall no longer be snide.

In fact I stand and hail thee -
the coiner of a cute name like sushi!
And while at it, I also bow to you -
for coming up with shabu-shabu.

Puchka is also in the fray
along with its twin - Golgappe.

I am certain there are many more,
though I can think of only 4 -
lady's finger and eggplant are two
although they make a real nice stew.

And when have they failed to regale:
the names of, and the name cocktail?

Last on my list, though it isn't a hoot
I think the name wonton is quite cute!

I know my list is kinda small
but for right now, this is all.
So, gentle reader, I request of you
to expand my list by adding a few!

No comments: