Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Organic snobs

Sunday dawned a beautiful spring day, beautiful enough to drive V and me out of bed to get out and soak in some sun. We drove up to the farmers' market in Palo Alto, hoping to kill the two birds of grocery shopping and "outside during spring" with a single stone.
Once there, we found ourselves drawn to a stall selling all sorts of plants - flowers, herbs, veggies...you name it! Utter novices that we are at gardening, my first instinct was to admire the foliage but to keep walking. However, enticed by the prospect of no grocery shopping in the future via the "grow your own garden" route, we walked in.
As would be the case in any nursery, everything inside was growing in little pots. While I understand why a nursery would need to do so, we weren't really sure if it'd be a sustainable idea to be growing broccoli and brinjal (uh, eggplant - always thought that was a funny name) in them. V took it upon himself to find out. He caught hold of (well, not literally) the lady who looked like she was in-charge, meaning to ask her if the vegetables need to be replanted into the ground. So, he points towards a pot full of pearl onions - bestowing upon them the singular honour of representing vegetable-kind in general- and begins to ask his question, "So, these veggies...". Poor V, though. Those are the only three words he had managed to say before the lady (?) interrupted and cattily informed him - Those are not veggies, they are called onions.
Thirty seconds (which felt more like an eon) of stunned silence followed. I mean, really? First of all, he meant veggies in general. Not just onions. Secondly, even if you thought that we were a couple of morons who mistook onions to be vegetables (which is not a mistake, by the way), I am sure there are politer ways of suggesting as much? Thirdly, you are the one who needs to sell stuff here. Fourthly, even if you didn't need to / don't care, can we still have some politeness just for the sake of civility? I am sure I could even find 'fifthlies' and 'sixthlies' on how her behaviour was offensive... However, just then I decided to return to the present and rescue my poor husband who was valiantly battling with the simultaneous urges to stay quiet, walk out, smash a few pots and I suspect a few others, which he hasn't mentioned to me. So, I quietly told her, "He meant veggies in general." (It always bothers me that I can never respond to snootiness with snootiness. For example, why couldn't I say something like: They are called onions and they *are* veggies? Anyhow, let me not digress). So, anyway, no apology followed. The rest of the conversation happened in a haze and we walked out, needless to say, without buying anything.
Once outside the stall of horrors, we cheered up a bit - the day was still bright and beautiful, the breeze was still a caress and everything around us was still a riot of colours. Thus emboldened by our surroundings, we decided to try our luck elsewhere. We bought some freshly baked bread and our find of finds - mangoes! And then, like moths attracted to a flame, our legs carried us to the 'Santa Cruz Pasta Factory' stall. They had a lot of varieties of (uncooked) pasta, 4-5 kinds of sauces, a few types of raviolis - everything looked really good. Without much dilly-dallying, I told the lady behind the counter that I'd buy. I picked out a packet of spaghetti, a box of pesto sauce and then, I spied a sign advertising a special price on buying pasta, sauce and ravioli together. Since I already had the first two, it made sense to buy some ravioli too and asked the lady for her recommendation. She started pointing to the various boxes on the table and explaining, "The butternut squash is really nice and flavorful, the roasted asparagus is my favorite and (face pinched into an expression of disgust now), if you eat animals then people tell me that the ham and gouda cheese is excellent too." I couldn't believe it! What is your point, exactly? Who are you to sit in judgment over meat-eaters when you, yourself are selling it? If you really really want to take a stand against it, then may I suggest not selling it? None of this, however, came out of my mouth. V promptly came to my rescue and since we were already in the middle of a transaction, told her that we'll take the roasted asparagus, paid and both of us walked out (damn! we are both so meek :( Can we at least inherit the earth, please?).
Once outside, we both had a good laugh about their smug and superior attitude. However, I'd be lying if I said that it doesn't take away from the shopping experience. I understand and respect the organic movement and vegetarianism. I can even understand that in these parts of the world, it is a little hip to subscribe to these philosophies. What I don't get is how can people, especially those out to sell their wares, give you needless attitude?
When I go out to a farmers' market to shop, all I am looking for is some fresh, chemical-free food purchased in a pleasnt setting. I really do not want unadulterated snobbery in the bargain.

P.S. Cooked the raviolis for dinner last night. They didn't even taste that good.

No comments: